12 May 2009

Growing!

Sorry this is about 4 months late. I'd been meaning to add some video to this post but kept not getting around to it. I finally went to add it tonight, and I can't find the video. So, sorry for a super belated back-dated post without any video to compensate for my tardiness.

Sam had his two month check up at the beginning of May and everything looks good! He weighed 12lbs 5oz (70th percentile for his age) and was 24 inches long (90th percentile for his age). We're still not sure where we got this huge kid from, but we sure love him! The doctor also confirmed that we weren't insane and that it was totally possible that Sam is in fact teething! He drools a TON and loves to chew on things and has had some fits of crankiness that nothing else will explain. Of course, I'm pretty sure that now that we've blown the whistle on this he'll end up being like me and not get any teeth until he's two :P

Sam also got his first round of immunizations at that check up. I knew I couldn't be in the room while he got them (since I would pass out when I saw the needles...) but luckily Eric was able to be there for that part of the check up. I can't even tell you how heart wrenching it was though when I heard Sam scream out from the pain. I never thought I'd be an overprotective mom... but apparently I was very wrong. I've found myself getting super defensive of Sam even when people are just joking about him. Things like my little brother joking that he was going to steal him, of course it was a joke, but my insides still just turned hearing it. Who knew I could love this kid so much?

Since Sam's check up he's still been growing like crazy. He's started to really get a personality which has just been a blast. He can roll over, but he doesn't seem to have too much interest in rolling. What he does have an interest in is scooting. I'll have to post a video of it sometime because it's pretty funny to watch. If I lay him down on his stomach he just kicks his legs and moves like an inchworm. He's getting pretty good at it too! It's really funny when I lay him down for a diaper change, but then leave the room to grab something. When I come back he is almost invariably turned 90 degrees from how I had left him!

Sam's other fun trick lately is that he likes to talk. Of course, it's just babbling and none of the words make sense, but he loves hearing his little voice. Of course, when he's mad, he lets us know that too! He doesn't cry very much, but he definitely yells a lot when he gets upset. Unfortunately, I think it's one of the funniest things in the world to listen to him yell at us because he really does sound like he's listing off his grievances. So while he's upset, I sometimes will laugh at him (don't worry, I laugh at him while trying to fix whatever he might be mad about, he's just so dang cute!)

We've also discovered that our baby is a social butterfly. He LOVES being with people. He likes watching people and playing with people, and he's not yet real particular about who he's with. Although, he does have a decided preference for his dad. Nothing seems to make him happier than cuddling with Eric. When he's really upset I can try all of my tricks - bouncing, singing, feeding him, cuddling etc. - to no avail. But as soon as Eric takes him he just sorta snuggles into his chest and calms down. The funny thing is then he has these looks then that are like "Dad, can you believe what mom was doing to me? Oh, I'm so glad I'm safe now. Dad will protect me." It frustrates me, and makes me laugh at the same time. I'm really glad that he will calm down for Eric, and I *love* watching the two of them together, but it is frustrating to try every trick in the book... only to have him calm down instantly for his dad. Oh well, at some point he'll figure out that I'm where the food comes from :P

We've also found out that Sam loves the water. He has such a blast whenever we put him in the bathtub. We got to take him swimming while we were in California last week and he thought that was about the best thing that had ever happened to him. I wish I had some pictures to throw in here, but we forgot, oops!

No comments: