10 May 2009

First Mother's Day

I know this is really late, but I still wanted to write a post about my first Mother's Day as a mom. I decided to back-date it so that it still shows up nice and chronologically. If that bothers you... sorry, but you might want to get used to it. I have 7 drafts in queue that will all be backdated so that our blog doesn't just become a mess of past entries posted in the present.

Anyways, back to Mother's Day... It was great! Eric took Sam for all of church - ok, so that's not that unusual, Sam is still a daddy's boy :P - but it was still really nice to be able to just go and enjoy Relief Society and all of the meetings. Then we went out to Eric's brother Mike's house for a family dinner. I made a dessert for everyone that turned out really yummy, which always makes me feel good since I'm not exactly the world's greatest chef. It was just a nice relaxing day.

There were two major highs that day. One - Sam slept through the night the night before. When I woke up I'd thought Eric must have just taken him as a nice start for Mother's Day... but nope! Slept through the whole night (you can read about why that was actually a problem in my family's blog here. Also, Eric bought me a very thoughtful Mother's Day gift...
Fisher Price Mobile!

A Fisher Price Ocean Wonders Mobile!! Now before any of you think I'm being facetious, it really was an awesome gift. See Samuel had surprisingly fallen in love with his little crank up mobile (as stupid as it was, it just had three beige bears and had a tinny version of Rock-a-bye baby). However, it would only last for 3 minutes per crank... and I had literally developed callouses on my hands from cranking the stupid thing so often. Here's a video of how excited he got with it:

Ok so the video more shows how enthralled Sam is with his dad, but you can hear and see his lame mobile, and it's still a cute video :)

Needless to say, I couldn't have been more thrilled than I was with this new mobile that runs for 10 minutes at a time and doesn't require cranking. It was like giving me dozens of 10 minute breaks that I have been able to use over the past several weeks :)

However, the real gift came later that week. On Tuesday I had a REALLY rough night with Samuel, I couldn't get him to sleep regardless of what I did, and he was very upset. Since Eric was working until almost 2am I was pretty worn out when he came home. It didn't get any better when Sam got up early the next morning and I was trying to take care of him and catch up on housework. When Eric saw how exhausted I was he called in for a day off work and stayed home to take care of me. It was the most wonderful thing I think he could have done. He took Sam for the entire day and let me get all the dishes done, take a nap, catch up on work, take a nice long bubble bath and just generally relax the entire day. He even went and got Five Guys Burgers for us (something he'd been meaning for me to try for awhile - really good stuff :) It was just a fabulously relaxing day. I am so blessed to have such a selfless husband who would be willing to sacrifice one of his days off to take care of me. Thank you Eric! You're the best!!

1 comment:

Jamie Jo said...

I have the same mobile for Rebecca's pack 'n play, and let me tell you, we haven't really used it so she doesnt fall in love with it. I couldn't agree with you more on the lame-ness of it. The new one you have is great!
Glad you had a great mother's day!