12 September 2010

Quick Catch-up post (Vacations, Reunions, and Moving)

So...yeah, it's been awhile, I know. We haven't written not for lack of trying, but more for lack of time. I've also been really hesitant to write in fear of divulging too much information. I'll give a recap of the events in this post and then will let Brittny write the novel-lengthed version later.

The fact of the matter is, we've been looking for a change. In my work, I had been feeling like my talents and abilities were suffering from atrophy and under-utilization. Since I knew I wanted to progress in my career path, I feared that if I stayed in my current position for too long that I would lose familiarity with the skills necessary for me to continue progressing. At the same time, the contract on our condo was coming to a close, and the landlord said that they wouldn't except a month-to-month arrangement. We also weren't any closer to going to China.

So I started looking at various opportunities. Picking up from where we left off in June, we had a chance to go see our good friends the Phillips in San Antonio, TX. It was really good to see them and also get a chance to check out Cody's workplace, USAA. They have an excellent campus as their main Headquarters are located there in San Antonio. The city was very interesting in that it is a very large place in terms of population, but it doesn't feel crowded at all. Everything is just fifteen minutes away, whether it be Sea World, the commercial district, or some other friend's residential area. Brittny and Sam were able to accompany me in my interview, which was really nice for me and them. We spent the whole weekend, and Sam got reacquainted with Chandler. They became fast friends.

Brittny and Sam at Sea World
The very next week I had scheduled an interview in San Diego, CA. Since that wasn't too far off from Thousand Oaks, we decided to make it another family trip. Sam was sort of a pickle on the car ride down, but he got tuckered out after ripping our portable DVD player to shreds!
Our little techie!
Sam's finally at a stage where he can stand to be around other people, even if his parents aren't there. This is a very good development, especially in the eyes of his grandparents. His grandpa Anderson had recently decided to raise chickens, and Sam loved chasing the "bock bocks" around the yard. Again, another fun trip, but very tiring.

Not to mention the fact that we still were not decided on what we wanted to do when the end of our contract came around, so before we left for the annual family reunions, we had to pack up our house and put everything into storage. What a chore! Especially since we didn't know where we were going to end up at that point! Not to mention my work laptop was going on the fritz:
My screen did this almost daily!
So off we went to Wyoming for an Anderson reunion, camping at a KOA one of Brittny's relatives owned. It was a fun time to meet more of Brittny's family and show off our cute little boy! He really enjoyed the swimming pool there:
After that weekend, we pretty much went straight back to California, but this time for a Hansen family reunion. First, just the immediate Hansen's got together and went off to Disneyland for an entire day. That was a lot of fun, but unfortunately I don't have my video camera right now, so I can't upload pictures or videos from it. It will probably be its own post, anyway.

For the rest of the week, we had a Lyon (my mother's side) family reunion, which was a ton of fun. Sam got to play with most of his cousins, and Brittny got better acquainted with my huge family. Brittny also took initiative and helped out with organizing some of the events--mainly a series of "minute-to-win-it" type of games. She did really well, and it was fun to get more involved.

One of our favorite days that week was going to the beach. About halfway through the day, someone thought it would be a fun idea to bury Sam halfway in the sand, and the funny thing is that he enjoyed it! I think he enjoyed the attention more than anything else, but it was cool to see him have such a fun time.
Coool Dude!
All these vacations took us well into August, and after all was said and done, we had to come home--that being a temporary apartment set up in the basement of my parents' new condo in South Jordan, UT. Since we still didn't know where we were going to end up, there wasn't really much we could do. We are so grateful that my parents let us move in temporarily while we try to find more permanent accommodations. Fortunately, many new opportunities have arisen in recent weeks, and hopefully I will have more good news for you soon. Until then, back to the grind...

1 comment:

Tim said...

I was expecting a job announcement since you alluded that posting an upcoming change might be dangerous if your current employer read about it. Looking forward to hearing where you'll end up! We're coming out there for Christmas this year though...