12 June 2009

The Best Two Years

Ordinarily in the church hear the phrase "the best two years of my life" associated with a mission. Had my life gone according to my plans, right about now I would be coming home from a mission. However, the Lord had better plans. Even still, today that phrase can definitely be applied to the most recent two years of my life. Last Tuesday marked two years since I married the love of my life, Eric Hansen. The days and months (and now years!) that have followed truly have been the best of my life. I am so blessed to have married such a wonderful man.

I had wanted to go through and pick out the highlights of our married life, but it was harder than I thought. Every day has been a highlight. Like one of our favorite Relient K songs says, "Every day I spend with you is the new best day of my life".

Our celebration has been a little spread out as it's been a busy couple of weeks helping with my sister's wedding (more about that later) but we did find ways to celebrate. Eric got me a new cell phone that's like the one he has (you can read his full review of the phone here). I'm really excited about it because it has made a lot of things much easier. For example, I now have all of my scriptures and church manuals on my cell phone, rather than trying to fit them all into my diaper bag. Also, I can now use my cell phone to do things while feeding Sam, rather than trying to find weird ways to maneuver around him to work on my computer. I've had a lot of fun with it. I wasn't able to get Eric anything nearly so cool, but I did get him something that he really wanted. A shirt with this logo:


For those of you who don't get it, it's a joke from a game called Portal. Throughout the game the computer keeps promising the player cake if they succeed. However, if you look on the walls there are messages written by previous players that say "the cake is a lie". So, when we found this shirt on Woot's Shirt site we thought it was pretty clever. I also made us a nice dinner the day after our anniversary. Later this month we've planned a little one-night getaway for the two of us and Sam is going to spend the night with his Hansen grandparents in Salt Lake.

I'm not going to lie, I'm already feeling nervous about leaving Sam for a whole night. Not that I in any way doubt my in-laws ability to take care of our baby - seriously, they successfully raised 9 kids and Eric's dad is a neonatologist (newborn baby doctor)... I think they can handle it. But, I'm kinda attached to this little guy, it seems so weird to just leave him for a whole night. At the same time, I'm totally looking forward to just getting to be with Eric for that time. The longest we've been away from Sam since he was born is 2 hours while we went to the temple. I miss just being with Eric, so it will be awesome to get to spend time with him.

Anyways I just wanted to say thank you to my dear Eric for the best two years I could have ever asked for. Thank you for two years of growing together. Thank you for being my very best friend. Here's to many more "best two years" to come :) I love you!

No comments: