31 December 2008

Active Andersons: Part 2 - Christmas!

So, I'll give you a rundown on what we did during our time there. My family waited to get a Christmas tree until the last minute (we like doing live trees, but we're all allergic, so it's best if we have a tree in our house for as short a time as possible) so we got to decorate it our first night home. We stayed up pretty late playing games and hanging out with family but it was worth it.

We slept in on Christmas Eve to recover from our long trip and late night, then spent most of that afternoon finishing up Christmas shopping. Christmas Eve is when my family does most of their Christmas traditions. We had our big Christmas dinner at our house with another family who had been very helpful to in organizing the Yes on Prop 8 campaign. After they had left we did what has always been my favorite family tradition - Christmas pajamas! Every year we each get a new pair of pajamas that we wear Christmas Eve and all day on Christmas (although this year we modified the tradition to be something to wear on Christmas - mostly sweats for the girls, basketball shorts and t-shirts for the boys, and Cody opted for a new pair of jeans and a hoodie :P). We hide the pajamas throughout the house and then everyone has to search to find their pajamas. This year Taylor helped hide the pajamas so they were hidden a little bit more creatively than usual. Cody's ended up in a popcorn tin... in the garage... in the attic. I found mine in the outside refrigerator (good thing pregnancy has made me warmer than usual or I'd have been pretty put out to have cold PJs!!). My dad's were in the solar oven - ok, so the solar oven was my mom's doing, but you get the idea. Once everyone had their PJs on we read Luke 2 together. The rest of the evening was pretty laid back as we wrapped presents to go under the tree and played games. Once most of the younger kids had gone to bed (not that any of them are really young per se, I just mean the kids younger than me) we stuffed stockings and put them out before going to bed ourselves.

Christmas morning we were all woken up early because my youngest brother Kyle (10) is still at an age where seeing what Santa brought you is far more exciting than sleeping in.

I think Christmas is just more fun when you have little kids around, and it made me even more excited that we'll have our Samuel here next Christmas, even though he'll probably still be a little young to truly get caught up in the excitement.

1 comment:

amber {and co.} said...

Yay for Christmas! I'm so glad you guys had such a great time with your family, we have the tradition of getting Christmas pjs too, but I like the idea of making everyone find them! We may have to adopt that idea :) And you're absolutely right, Christmas is so much more fun with kids, even though Samuel will be young next year it will still be so much more meaningful!