29 September 2007

A long overdue... lengthy... but still incomplete.. post

I was looking on my Facebook profile and realized that I hadn't posted anything since July... so maybe it was time for me to post something again.

Since our honeymoon Eric and I have fallen into real life. It's SO much better than single or engaged life. Not even a comparison. It's so wonderful to be able to come home at the end of the day to someone that you love and are comfortable with. Married life really is the best! It's so nice not to feel the pressure to do exciting things all the time because I'm young and single and this is as good as it gets (which is totally false by the way... single life sucked, married life rules).

I really got into the whole housewife thing for the first couple weeks after we got back. It was really fun setting up our apartment and getting everything in order. I especially liked having the time to cook real meals (like that aren't based around pasta-roni or tacos) for once in my life! I won't lie and say I'm a great cook... or even necessarily a good cook, but I really enjoyed actually making real food.

As soon as our apartment finally got set up it was time for YA camp, where I was working as a counselor for two weeks in July. I hadn't known exactly what I was going to be facing when I got back from our honeymoon so I had figured that I might as well ensure that I was gainfully employed for at least those two weeks. Unfortunately, I had started job hunting the week before. Not really aggressively but I had posted my resume on Monster.com. WOW. Within 24 hours I had received at least two phone calls and I was inundated with calls and emails for the next several weeks for job offers. One employer wanted to interview me ASAP and I agreed to come in on the first Monday of YASE (Young Ambassadors Singing Entertainer Camp). It worked out since I was only working as a night counselor so my day was free. The company was down in Salt Lake and I wasn't real keen on having to go all the way down there, but I went anyways. I didn't think that anything was going to come of the interview. I had looked at the caliber of work that the company does and I was very impressed. It's an advertising agency that focuses a large part of their sales on providing high quality websites for their clients and the recruiter who had called me had said they were looking for someone with a good eye for design... which would decidedly not be me. But I went for the interview and had a job before I left the building. They were so desperate for PHP programmers (it turns out they have a whole design team so my lack of creativity wasn't even an issue) that he asked if I would come back the next day and work whatever hours I could while I had YASE. They agreed to pay me more than I had expected to get and I didn't really have plans for during the day. So, I came back the next day. It was a whirlwind couple of weeks. I woke up at YA camp each morning, got my girls off to rehearsal, got dressed, drove down to SLC, worked for 5 hours, drove back and played counselor all night. I got practically no sleep and I was trying desperately to grasp their code system. It was a long couple of weeks. However, I really enjoyed working for the company and I liked that I was working on projects that I could feel very proud to have been a part of.

Luckily, those two weeks didn't kill me and I started after that to work at Axis 41 full time, but still being paid on an hourly basis. My manager kept saying they intended to hire me on as a full time salaried employee... but that went on for about 6 weeks. Just as I was starting to think that they were just holding on to me until they could find someone better, they offered me the job for reals! So, I've been working there since July... although only officially since the very end of August. I really enjoy working there, although the commute sucks. I take the bus, which definitely helps. I sleep the whole way there and generally spend the ride home on the phone with my mom or listening to podcasts. It's not a bad deal all in all, I enjoy the work, I'm learning a lot and it pays well. But spending 15 hours a week on a bus isn't so fun. Although, it's not so bad now that school has started for Eric. At least I know that while I’m in Salt Lake City, he’s in school or at work anyway. It’s just not any fun being at home without him.

There’s not too much happening in my life aside from work. I’m in the Sunday school presidency of our ward serving as the secretary, so that’s been keeping me pretty busy when I’m at home. However, hopefully things are going to be settling down now that all of our teachers are called and classes are arranged *crosses fingers *. Eric and I try to invite people over frequently, which has been really fun. We generally don’t get too fancy, but it’s just nice to have people over and get to know them better.

I guess that’s about it. I’m sure there’s more but my brain is pretty fried. We’re launching a website on Monday that I’ve been in charge of developing. Which means that I’ve been working late nights, early mornings and extra hard in between. Plus, they’re probably going to make me come in to the office later today, which I’m so far from thrilled about. Oh well. Maybe I’ll come up with the other things that are happening in my life later. For now, I think I’m done.

No comments: